Growing from this Place Subject: I’m going back out there
In this week’s edition of Growing from this Place Bible Study, Pastor Jonathan McKnight looks into understanding the concept of going back out to try something that you once failed at. He prefaces the study with posing some questions and identifies some ideologies of uncertainty that surface when being tested, or better yet, instructed by God to go out and do something again that you were not successful at the first time. Here are the key points of this week’s study:
- (Question) Have you ever tried something, and it didn’t pan out the way you wanted it to?
- When you put some much effort in things in life, and it doesn’t come out the way you want it to, the situation leaves you state of feeling empty.
- (Question) How do you function when others see you try things and it’s not working?
- When you got through situations in life, they are just a test of what you believe or think about your purpose or goals.
- Anything that is worth having, there must be some form of test to prove that it is meant to be for you.
- (Question) How do you try again in front of people that have seen you fail?
- What sense does it makes to go out there and try something again when I feel empty, tired or weary?
- Coming up empty often makes us feel as if you are not sufficient.
- Coming up empty does not mean that your destiny or your purpose is empty.
- Oftentimes, our faith is being tested when you come up empty, especially when you try something you know how to do.
- You can’t walk away from your goals, your purpose or your dreams when it doesn’t happen when you want them to.
- The biggest test is can you appear to fail in front of others and still believe.
- The true test is where are you in life.
- God allow certain channels or things to happen in your life just so you can see that He is in control.
- (Question) Where is the victory in quitting? What do you accomplish by giving up?
- Oftentimes, when things don’t happen the way you want them to, people get out of God.
- When it seems like you are empty, broken or can’t get what you are going after, and God tells you to go back out there, you have the power to get it when the Word get’s in it (referencing when Jesus got into Peter’s boat).
- When you do something without having God in it, it may not last for long or it won’t work.
- If try again, take your shame and your humiliation and ask God to get in a word in you that is going to setup for success and not emptiness.
- It’s good to have partners to not sit back and watch you but will go out with you when you are trying to do something that was ordered by God.
- God will allow you to be empty just to see and understand that He is setting you up for His glory.
- If you are going to go, go all the way out.
- There is no used to you connecting with people that watched you go out, and they stay on the edge. Make sure you have the right connections around you.
Luke 5: 1-9